Sunday 24 January 2010

Seventh PAR session (22-01-10)

Rehearsal with Chek! This was a brilliant rehearsal as chek is also a music student and so understands the role and terms used in music. First I played around with some of the ideas that I had done with my other dancers but chek found it quite hard as she said I was beating quite fast so we did a 4/4 beat but half time to give her a chance to remember and get back to the 1 easier. This is the outcome:

We then tried it at normal speed to see the affect tempo can have on the movement create at a much slower tempo:

I then went back to my conduction created to music that I had previous done with Rhian and Hayley. Chek had a completly different take on the rhythem as she took the approach of a stepwise pattern to it which is how it would prehaps be taken in the commercial world of dance. The pattern is: 123,123,12. Which is quite waltz like and bouncy in conducting:

We then did a swap so that I was being conducted by Chek. This was just using some of the things that i'ld done before but so that I could feel it. We then started to play with the speeds:

Pre-exsisting Movement

Purely gestural conduction - I asked Chek if she had any material that she remember that could be put under conduction. She did and so we worked with it and some gestural signals that instigated the movement.

The biggest thing thing I learnt fromt this seesion was that of breath!! This is where the conversation between conductor and the moving body resides.

Next steps:

  • Do more with pre-exsisting material
  • Work with all dancers at once
  • Work with gestural duet work
  • Decide or piece or presentation

No comments:

Post a Comment